Our Lady and St. Juan Diego

Our Lady and St. Juan Diego

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Entrustment to Mary = Help to Stay Fit


I try to stay away from scales, figuring I can tell by how my clothes fit what my weight is doing (going up or down). I have known for months that my weight is going up. Slowly all my pants and skirts have been tightening around the waist. I am down to a couple of bottoms to wear and 2 dresses I would wear shortly after giving birth. I have never been one who has needed or wanted to diet. However, I have been surrounded by people who are always concerned about weight. Conversations often revolve around what we eat, how much we eat, how little or much we exercise. Exercise is a scary word for me. I don’t choose it; I don’t crave it; I simply am scared of it. And, as my weight and lack of physical activity have increased, the thought of being healthy is becoming more and more remote.

Faced with this realization, I go back and forth between two thoughts. One is – why not eat and enjoy myself? I had two grandmas – the one who was heavier was more fun and always had a treat to offer. Why not be the happy go lucky grandma who surrounds her family with delicious smells and tasty treats? Who says I have to be thin and restrict myself?

Thought two – if I am to be around to see my children and their children grow up, then shouldn’t I see the value in maintaining a healthy lifestyle? Being healthy will give me more endurance. I might be more comfortable sitting at Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament if I was more fit. I might more joyfully serve the Church if I was not so tired all the time.

Hmmmm….what a dilemma. It sort of reminds me of my spiritual “weight.” Faced with my lukewarmness in the spiritual life there are two thoughts. One is – just enjoy the moment and do not worry so much about the afterlife! I have lots of examples from my family and friends of happy people who are not the least bit worried about their spiritual lives and things seem good for them. Why not be the happy go lucky mom who thinks only of her kids’ material and physical lives, making sure they have the most up to date clothes, and the best schools, and the newest cell phones? Who says I have to follow my conscience and restrict myself?

Thought two – if I want to see my children and their children in the next life, then shouldn’t I see the value in maintaining a healthy spiritual life? Receiving my “daily bread” will give me more endurance. I might be able to love Christ in my neighbor more, think first of others, if I was more spiritually fit. I might more joyfully be a channel of graces for others, and not feel so tired of doing it, if I was seeking first the Kingdom of God.

Hmmmm….what a dilemma. Seems to me, the only solution is entrustment to Mary! Hiding in Her womb, I want to allow her to carry me through my days, obtaining the graces for me necessary to do GOD’s will and not my own. On my own, I feed my ego. But, with Her, I have a chance to seek what is best for me and all my dear ones. Thanks Blessed Mother. 

“A person who concentrates on himself and is full of his own plans becomes very slothful with regard to the Holy Spirit….When you begin to seek help in your helplessness, you will hear the knocking of the One who, upon crossing the border into your world, desires to rescue you. God desires that you seek nothing other than Him.” S.C. Biela, Open Wide the Door to Christ, (Ft.Collins, CO: IAMF, 2005), 135 and 192


No comments:

Post a Comment