Our Lady and St. Juan Diego

Our Lady and St. Juan Diego

Friday, November 1, 2013

Entrustment to Mary = Acknowledging God In The Workplace


Someone who is poor in spirit stands before God in truth and does not hide behind the masks of perfection and self-sufficiency. He believes that God loves him just as he is. Consequently, he is willing to admit to his limitations, fallibility, weaknesses, and misery, even in matters pertaining to work. S.C. Biela, Open Wide the Door to Christ, (Ft.Collins, CO: IAMF, 2005), 114

I have almost completed working one month at my new job. When my interview for the job was scheduled for 3PM – the mercy hour - I figured it was a sign from God that He wanted me to have this position. I started praying every morning before work entrusting myself to the Blessed Mother and asking for graces to be able to do the work required of me. I would pray not to be a super employee, but just to be competent in learning the job’s duties. Then I would proceed to go through my work day totally forgetting about relying on God’s graces. I would become anxious and upset at every new aspect of the job that would come my way. To problem solve, I relied only on my experience and knowledge. I became stressed and overwhelmed. Driving home one night I realized this pattern, and asked God’s forgiveness for trying to do it all on my own. I admitted to my Lord that yes, I actually wanted to be a super employee.   

The next day I prayed to remember to rely on God’s graces during the work day. I remembered to ask for the Blessed Mother’s help for the various situations that arose. I did not become a “super worker”, and I made mistakes, but there was a calming peace that penetrated my being that can only be described as God’s merciful love. It has been a hard transition leaving a position that I was proficient at and becoming the new hire with limited knowledge and competence. There are a lot of humbling moments. But experiencing the peace that came that day when I stood in the truth and admitted my nothingness and asked for God’s helping graces, gives me hope that I can be content in this new employment knowing that God is a part of this environment and He wants to guide me on this path as long as I am open to following Him. And I can only be open to following Him if I continuously entrust myself to the Blessed Mother’s care.

Another grace God has bestowed during this time of transition is having me reach the section in my current meditation book Open Wide the Door to Christ that speaks about keeping God in the work environment. I believe there are no coincidences, just God’s love for me and my soul. I have included some of the helpful reflections below.

God wants to use your work, the people with whom you come in contact at work, and the difficulties that arise during work, as instruments in forming your soul. A large part of your adult life is spent at work and this time should serve you on your path to sanctity. If you look at your job without faith, then you shut God out of an important part of your life. Ibid 110-111


When you are excessively absorbed in what you do, you behave as if you have forgotten that you are God’s child and that you have an immortal soul, which your Heavenly Father wants to feed with His love, even when you are at work. Ibid 111
When you experience difficulties, you lose a sense of security. In turn, anguish overcomes you. Therefore, you should always seek reliance in God’s will. By seeking reliance in God’s will, you will cease to feel estranged and isolated. In addition, you will stop fearing people and circumstances. You will cease to be excessively preoccupied with what other people think about you. Peace will begin to reign in your heart – a peace that comes only when you seek to rely on God and follow His light. Ibid 97

No comments:

Post a Comment