Our Lady and St. Juan Diego

Our Lady and St. Juan Diego

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Entrustment to Mary = Accepting Injustices


First of all, we are almost to the middle of Lent – how are we all doing? I have had to chuckle how the Lord has given me subtle and not so subtle humiliations in order to help keep me “off” my pedestal. I have made mistakes at work and at home that have me relying on Blessed Mom’s arms and her acceptance of all things - as my gut reaction to such humiliations is to rationalize, make excuses, and look for a scapegoat. So I guess I could say I am having a “good” Lent seeing my weaknesses and then calling upon the Lord’s most merciful love! J
 
Next, I have been meditating on Christ’s Passion and how unjust it was in human terms. An innocent man convicted and killed due to the pride and arrogance of other men. I have been battling with an injustice, although small in nature compared to Christ's passion. Part of the reason for me leaving my job was due to the disagreements I was having with my boss over the weekly bulletin. I figured I had 15 years of experience with this production and could not understand why all of a sudden my work in this area was being scrutinized. Now when I read the current bulletin being created by my replacement, I am surprised and a bit offended by the lack of editing as it is produced with misspellings, odd formatting, and lack of pertinent information. Why is her work not being examined like mine had been? It just seems so unfair!
Then I happened to read the following in the book In the Arms of Mary:
By praying before the Crucified Christ, you will receive the answer to the question: Why do I suffer injustices in my life? You will understand that God can permit something unjust, from a human point of view, to happen to you – because God sees things differently than men. The human injustice that you confront may be something just in God’s eyes. When you do not experience any injustice, you cannot understand with depth what Christ went through, whose death also had something to do with the injustice He experienced. [1]
 
So I was comforted in knowing that the injustice is another way God is feeding my soul the nourishment it needs to be united with Him. My pride and arrogance is similar to Christ’s adversaries, and is hard to keep in check. But looking at the injustice as a loving act from my merciful Savior, helps me to again step off my pedestal.
 
I also, shared this passage with a person who had lost her loved one in a car crash caused by someone who was texting while driving. I hope and pray that she too, can feel a loving answer for the tragedy she is experiencing, an injustice way beyond the scope of mine.
Someone who is condemned justly – like the good thief – can find a rational motive to accept suffering. However, someone who is unjustly accused and suffers despite his innocence, can only turn to the Cross of Christ for his motivation. Only when you resort to the Cross of Christ can you be grateful for the injustice that you suffer:  I give thanks to You, my God, for sharing with me Your most precious treasure. Thank You for permitting me to understand better the mystery of Your Cross.
 
On your way to sanctity you may not expect that God will preserve you from injustice, and that nothing will happen to you, from a human point of view, that you do not deserve. [2]

[1] S.C. Biela, In The Arms of Mary, 2nd. ed, rev. (Ft.Collins, CO: IAMF, 2005), 32-33.
[2] Ibid, 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment